Unlike our usual shows, this one is actually good! We encourage you to listen.
(0:00-3:48) The open
(4:20-8:15) The musical guest: SQUAREPUSHER. Buy “Damogen Furies” here.
(8:15-22:57) Email from around North America
(23:24-49:44) A discussion with Jess Spector of The Sporting News
(50:20-1:20:10) The baseball topics
- The Royals want to fight everyone
- Josh Hamilton goes back to TEX, the AngLOLs are a joke
- Wainwright’s achilles, Scherzer’s thumb - THE DH ARGUMENT IS BACK! Pick a side. Or don’t.
- The Brewers are hot garbage
- Orioles and MLB making the right descisions in the face of some heavy real-life shit
(1:20:37- 1:30:05) The Old School Player of the Week: CRAIG KUSICK
70 DADGLASSES, 70 DADHAT, 70 DADLAP, 60 STACHE
Kusick, who looks like he won an invite to baseball fantasy camp, was an honest to goodness MLB player from 1973-79 with the Blue Jays and Twins. A 1B/DH, he posted a career average of .235, 105 OPS+, and 3.8 WAR. He also pitched in a game for the Blue Jays in 1980, a 24-2 loss to the California Angels, and went 3 ⅔ innings and giving up 2 ER on three hits (one of which was a bomb). If you were to see a photo of him at any point in his career, “professional athlete” would be about the 278th occupation you’d peg him as having.
Kusick is now deceased, but will remain awesome forever.